02 Oct Tool? or Toy? (Part 1)
Every time your mouth waters over some new gadget or software or social media site, ask yourself, “Is it a tool or a toy?” That’s the question posed in the excellent book The Blogging Church, by Brian Bailey and Terry Storch.
Tech-savvy people (like me) love new technology and usually believe more technology can only bring good things. But toys can merely waste church money and consume the pastor’s (and volunteers’) time.
How can you tell if it’s a toy?
- You use the word “cool” to describe it.
- You spend more time playing with it than using it.
- You want it because other people have it.
- You love to show it to other people.
- You hear, “We should get a….” You’d like to have it, but can’t articulate a compelling ministry need for it.