Dr. Howard F. Cherry, 88, passed away at 2:50 am on Tuesday, August 8, 2017, in Warren, Ind.
Visitation time: 4:00 – 8:00 pm Friday, August 11, 2017.
Visitation location: Myers Funeral Home Huntington Chapel, 2901 Guilford Street, Huntington, Ind.
Funeral time: 11 am Saturday, August 12, 2017.
Funeral location: College Park United Brethren Church, 1945 College Ave., Huntington, Ind. Pastors Gary Dilley and Paul Hirschy will officiate. There will also be one hour of visitation prior to the service.
Howard Cherry was born on March 28, 1929, in Potterville, Mich., and in 1945 graduated from high school in Charlotte, Mich. He served in the US Army 1955-1957.
He was united in marriage to Suzanne Walters on October 4, 1952. They would have celebrated their 65th anniversary this fall. They had two sons and two daughters, all of whom survive.
He was a graduate of Huntington College and of the Huntington Theological Seminary. He received his master’s degree from St. Francis University in Fort Wayne and his doctorate from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Ill.
Dr. Cherry’s ministerial experience included:
- 1964-1966: College Park United Brethren Church in Huntington, Ind.
- 1966-1968: King Street United Brethren Church in Chambersburg, Pa.
- 1968-1969: Hudson United Brethren Church in Hudson, Ind.
- 1969-1979: Hopewell United Brethren Church in Auburn, Ind.
- 1979-1992: professor in the Huntington University Graduate School of Christian Ministries.
- 1992-1996: Union Church in Huntington, Ind.
He also spent time in Jamaica and Honduras training ministers, and for many years taught the United Brethren History Course. He was semi-retired from 1996-present.
Memorial donations can be made out to Huntington University or UB Global (the international arm of the United Brethren in Christ) both in care of Myers Funeral Home, 2901 Guilford Street, Huntington, IN 46750.