Todd H. Fetters was elected to a four-year term, 2017-2021, as Bishop of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ, USA. He was elected by unanimous ballot during the Business session of the US National Conference, meeting Thursday morning, July 13, in Lancaster, Pa.
Bishop Fetters’ ministerial career began in 1988 with seven years at Lake View UB church in Camden, Mich., followed by 18 years as senior pastor of Devonshire UB church in Harrisburg, Pa. He came to the National Office in 2013 as Director of National Ministries.
Four persons were elected to the Executive Leadership Team for 2017-2021.
- Ty Bates, a layperson from Bethel UB church (Elmore, Ohio).
- Matt McConnell, a layperson from Banner of Christ (Byron Center, Mich.).
- Gary Dilley, pastor of College Park UB church (Huntington, Ind.).
- Dennis Sites, pastor of Jerusalem Chapel (Churchville, Va.).
They join four persons elected in 2015 to four-year terms. These eight persons will then appoint four more persons to two-year terms.
The business session began at 8:45 am. There were a couple presentations, plus reports from Interim Bishop Todd Fetters and the various directors (UB Global, Higher Education, Communications, National Ministries, Finance, and Ministerial Licensing). Then came elections.
The delegates then tackled six proposals from the Human Sexuality Task Force, which began its work in early 2016. All six of their proposals passed, with only one or two amendments. They can be viewed here. They included:
- New statements on Singleness, Sex and Gender Distinctions, and the Local Church and Human Sexuality.
- Revisions to our existing statements on Marriage, Illicit Sexual Relations, and Pornography.
The meeting adjourned at 11:45.